I haven't played a game of 40K in a couple of months now & really find myself at something of a cross roads I'll try to explain, as someone who has played 40K since 4th ed & collected the models since even before that needless to say I've a lot of models, but I now find myself wondering sould I just sell most of them off & just keep the stuff I want for pulp ally.
You see the problem I have is that while I love the concept of 40K I find that for me more often then not the game is a bit of a let down, now I believe that the reason for this is two fold, one is the way GW sell us 40K as a whole & the other is GW's regard for balance with in the game, it at times strikes me as if the design team are playing a different game to the rest of us.
Now I'm not foolish enough to think that a game with as much stuff in it as 40K could ever be over all balanced but at the same time GW could put a bit more effort in make sure that units are not completely useless, it seems to much like GW don't care if the models that people have paid good money for can still work or not.
Anyway I don't want to turn this post into a rant what I want to try to do is work out if I should keep on playing or just throw in the towel right here & now and say enough is enough, so to try to help me out on this I'm going to do a bit of a pro's & cons.
Right I'll kick off with the pros of which I believe there are many.
1) The setting, for me there really is none better.
2) The models, while of late some of the stuff GW have come out with for some of the armies I play haven't really been my cup of tea, there is still enough good stuff to keep me happy.
3) The game, this is the big one to try & call as I've had some very enjoyable games of 40K in 7th ed I've also had some that while I've played very well & won where just to much like hard work, for me I think the bast way to play 40K is in a relaxed manner & if it can be a special setting then so much the better.
4) Mates I've made from playing 40K.
5) Seen some of the wonderful stuff that player have done with their models.
6) The many different ways you can play 40K, I don't think there is another game out there that can offer as many different way to play, the fact that we don't is down to the players not GW.
7) Easy of getting games.
8) Tournaments a great way of catching up with people you other wise might not get to see.
So there I've what I feel are the major pro's in playing 40K, so now to look at some of the cons.
1) Price, this is really an odd one because while it can be quite expensive to build an army once you do you need never buy another model if you don't want, the problem is that GW might make your army next to useless.
2) Balance, now again I've mixed feelings here as if I was playing a game like the ones that use to be in the older IA books where the out come of the game is that outside is more likely then the other to win I've no problem, while on the other hand if I'm just playing a game in the club I shouldn't know how the game will go just by looking at the two armies on the table.
3) GW enough said.
4) Rules for models, now this is more a FW problem then a GW one one as I think of it all as the same thing its a con, what I'm getting at here are the rules for FW models as you might only have 1 or 2 but if the release a new book with the model been part of it then you can end up having to pay a lot of money for a book just to get the rules for a model or two.
5) Poor rules & loopholes, I'm not a completive player any more but I think having clear rules is to everyone's benefit, loopholes are something that just P me off & really are in most cases just like poor rules down to GW not wanting to spend money on fixing.
6) Tournaments, while yes they do have their place in the game, my experience is to many games are played out to this end.
7) The stupid rules that suck all the fun out of the game, I think we all know what I mean with this.
So there you've got it my view on 40K, now these are very much my own & I'm sure there are many out there that see the game in a very different way but that is not what this post has been about, it has been to see if it could help me make my mind up one way or the other & to this end the post has worked.
The result is I'm going to give 40K one last chance, I've some ideas of how I want to try playing games but that's all for another post, Ill finish this one off by saying I won't put my bolter away just yet & as always thank you for dropping in.